What does art, music, fashion, celebrity parties, artists worship, bikinis and pool side beverages, perfect weather and miles of Art Walking have in common? You guessed it! Art Basel in Miami is back and this year adds a whole new level of fantastic, combining well-known designers, collectors, exhibits, and sunny beaches with enormous waves of creativity and fun.
With over 150 local events to choose from, here is a list of our the top 20.
Oh, and many events are invitation only so be sure RSVP!
1. Casa BACARDI at Wynwood Curated by The Dean Collection: Enterprising hitmaker and art collector Swizz Beatz will produce a 3-day art and music series featuring his wife Alicia Keys. Swizz Beatz and Bacardi will throw the Untamable House Party music concert series at night with Art Fair during the day time hours. “It’s by the artist, for the artist.” Swizz told Billboard Magazine. “I think a lot of people forget the message of why they’re even going down to Basel. You’re going down to Basel because there are amazing, creative artists who took a lot of time out of their lives to put together masterpieces in hopes for entry in a great collection or for somebody to be inspired.” Casa Bacardi Art Fair is free and open to the public, the concert series is RSVP only and held at Casa Bacardi, 35 NE 29th St, Miami, FL, the Untamable House Party/Art Fair runs from December 3rd-December 5th; 11pm – 2am daily.
2. What’s INSIDE HER never dies…a Black Woman’s Legacy hosted by Yeelen Gallery: Occupying an expansive 13,000+ square-foot converted industrial complex in Miami’s Little Haiti neighborhood, Yeelen Gallery sustains four exhibition spaces with a focus on figuration, realism, and social practice. The concentrated urban themes of Yeelen Gallery represent and defend an international group of pioneering artists whom retain independence and give a voice to the unheard. Inside her never dies runs from December 1st to December 6th at 294 NW 54th Street, Miami, Fl 33127. RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Louis Vuitton’s Objets Nomades: This marriage of art and fashion is having an affair with home design, as Louis Vuitton and Objets Nomades present some of the most creative designers that have you re-evaluating the traditional way you think about furniture. This year’s foldable collection of furniture and travel accessories defines their relationship in the forefront of modern day contemporary spirit. This exhibition debuts a brand new lounge chairs created by Dutch designer Marcel Wanders honoring Miami’s architectural heritage. Louis Vuitton’s Objets Nomades runs December 3rd – February 10th; Monday-Saturday, 10:30am-7:30pm; Sunday, 12pm-6pm at 140 NE 39th St, Miami, FL 33127.
4. Style Mafia X Oxydo’s Basel Lab: Fashion and art are merged in this unique interactive experience where guests become one with a series of pods designed by Oxydo and Style Mafia. The print of the pods will match the clothing and eyewear worn by guests will create a camouflage effect as guests can instantly share their images within the pods during the event. The opening night hosted by Rocky Barnes is from 7-10pm with DJ Coco Hara providing tunes and complimentary cocktails with light bites. Basel Lab runs Tuesday, December 1st – Sunday December 6th at Style Mafia located at 2324 NW 5th Ave Miami, FL 33127. RSVP@STYLEMAFIA.US
5. 1 Hotel’s Ethikal Pop-Up: Shop an earth friendly pop-up market during Art Basel, featuring four ethical, eco-conscious, and totally trustworthy fashion brands: Accompany, AUrate, Maiyet and Victorine. The pop-up is located in the lobby of 1Hotel, and if you’re lucky enough to be able to room there you’ll find yourself perfectly positioned on their 600 foot long private beachfront property with direct access to cabanas, gourmet eats and designer drinks. When you find time to rest from all the festivities you’re welcome to relax in one of their spacious 1,000 sq ft nature-inspired retreat suites. Ethikal at 1 Hotel runs from December 1st-December 6th, 10am-8pm at 1 Hotel South Beach, 2341 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL
6. YogArt Basel: Led by Dawn B. Feinberg, these Friday evening and weekend morning classes will have have you fit and spirtiaully accute while you enjoy DJ sets and those unique yoga stretches. It’s totally Namaste while you experience Wynwood Walls’ newest installation, Walls of Change, which adds 14 new murals by globally acclaimed street artists. Tickets are $35 per day. YogArt Basel runs Friday, December 4th 6-8pm; Saturday, December 5th and Sunday, December 6th, 10am-12pm at Wynwood Walls, 2516 NW 2nd Avenue, Miami, FL
7. The Miami Street Photography Festival: Highlighting the work of emerging street photographers and establishing a global platform for learning through exhibits, workshops, lectures, photowalks and portfolio reviews the Miami Street Photography Festival kicks off. Featuring dozens of street photographers and their keen sense of observation as they showcase the most compelling and candid moments in the everyday life of strangers. For many street photography can be likened to a mirror held up to society as it reflects our reality. Everything is free from entry to art submissions with this show running from December 3rd-December 6th, 10am-10pm at the History Miami Museum, 101 W Flagler St., Miami, FL
8. Faena Art’s Neo-disco Roller Rink by Avaf: Faena’s homage to the disco era created by Brazilian-French an artists duo assuming vivid astro focus at Faena Art’s Experimental Communities and Artistic Collaboratory Program in Miami Beach. Roller skates will be provided as local and international DJs activate the roller disco between December 3rd through December 6th. The installation is free and open to the public. Neo-Dsco Roller Rink by Avaf runs December 3rd-December 6th at 32nd and 36th Streets and Collins Avenue.
9. Iconic Rock Images From The Music World’s Best-Known Photographers: On your way to the beach or the Design District, head to the Epic in Downtown to peruse through dozens of iconic rock ‘n’ roll images from the 60s and 70s, as shot by Norman Seeff. The Rolling Stones, Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe, Warhol and the Ramones all displayed in the lobby of the Epic Hotel . There will be a kickoff VIP event at night on December 2nd during with mixology from DRINKmaple, the show runs December 3rd- December 6th, 11am-8pm at Epic Hotel, 270 Biscayne Blvd. Way, Downtown Miami, FL.
10. Salvador Dali’s Fashion Designs at Art Miami: For the first time in history a selection of Salvador Dali’s works will be shown in the US, to the public, along with a dialogue of how Dali would interact in today’s world of technology. It will truly be a blend of fashion and art. Also worth noting in exhibit a $12.8 million Alexander Calder will be front and cente . Calder’s 1966 sculpture Spiral (No! to Frank Lloyd Wright) was shown at the Guggenheim between 1967 and 1968. Art Miami, Art Miami, LLC, 48 NW 29th Street, Miami, FL 33127.
11. ELLE DÉCOR Modern Life Concept House: For five days and a $35 admission fee, enjoy Elle Decor’s unveiling of its 2015 Modern Life Concept House. The project will feature a 6,000 square-foot, one-of-a-kind condominium home featuring the work of four leading designers hand-selected by Elle Decor editor-in-chief, Michael Boodro. Show runs Wednesday, December 2nd-Sunday, December 6th at 10am and 2pm at 250 Wynwood, 250 NW 24th St, Miami, FL.
12. VH1 Presents: The Breaks Lounge at Scope Miami: It’s a mashup of music, art, and culture within VH1’s exhibit in the lounge for 5 days. VH1 will be celebrating its new movie, The Breaks. Guests will be able to listen to a soundtrack provided by Q-Tip, view original lyric sheets from a Tribe Called Quest, and check out rare ’90s hip-hop apparel on loan from DJ Ross One. VH1 at Scope Miami runs Wednesday, December 2nd-Sunday, December 6th, 11am-8pm at Scope Miami Beach Pavilion, 801 Ocean Dr. at 8th.
13. Miami Supercar Promenade: NW 1st Court in Wynwood will be closed to traffic for the Miami Supercar Promenade, where more than 60 classic, vintage, and sports vehicles will be on display. The event is free and open to the public. Cruisin’….
14. The Emotions Of R. Ricieri Exhibition: It’s the red carpet for Italian-Brazilian Artist, Roberto Ricieri’s exhibit. Born in 1959 in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Ricieri has created more than 1,000 paintings, using acrylic on canvas, along drawing with pencil and carbon. He discovered his style and way of thinking about art in prison, which affected his work with real life inspiration and deep emotion. Admired by many, Ricieri never attended art school. As an entrepreneur, he often traveled to Europe and North America where he spent much of his time observing the masters of art in museums around the world. Exhibit is held Tuesday, December 1st at 325 NE 59 Terrace, Miami, FL
15. Dominique Ansel x The Setai: The Setai in Miami Beach is serving up a special pop-up experience as Chef Dominique heads to Miami during Art Basel is offering a surprise. It’s a pop-up soft serve window featuring South Beach’s coolest treats! The pop up will run from Wednesday, December 2nd to Thursday, December 3rd, or until the ice cream runs out and you’ll have two flavors to choose from; the Caramel Stout Soft Serve and the Burrata Soft Serve. Dominique Ansel x The Setai, is held at 2001 Collins Ave., entrance at the corner of Collins and 21st St.
16. Women of Influence in the Business of Art: Meet some of the most influencial women in the art world with Pratt Institute and W Magazine’s panel discussion on “Women of Influence in the Business of Art.” Moderated by W Editor in Chief Stefano Tonchi, the panel will feature Visual Artist Shirin Neshat; Pratt Institute Alumna, Filmmaker and Visual Artist, Mickalene Thomas; and CEO and Director of the Aspen Art Museum, Heidi Zuckerman. Learn how they’ve achieved their success and what defines the new generation of female artists. Women of Influence is held at the Miami Beach Edition Hotel, 2901 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL from 10:30am-1pm, panel begins at 11am.
17. Eva Longoria, Ricky Martin, and Global Gift Initiative: Join Eva Longoria and Ricky Martin as they celebrate Global Gift Initiative’s first U.S event. Founded on March 18, 2013, this non profit organization is focused on making a positive impact on the lives of children, women and families. Held December 3rd at Auberge Beach Residences & Spa Miami at 8:30pm. FMI: www.globalgiftfoundation.org
18. Secret Walls: Working in a similar way to Fight Club, Secret Walls has been bringing live illustration battles between artists to cities across the nation for ten years, and this year it’s bringing the fight to Wynwood. Early bird tickets are $3, tickets at the door are $10, and VIP front row seats are $60. Secret Walls is held at Smashed Canvas, 279 NW 28th St., Miami, FL
19. Copa Basel: This is the ultimate art and soccer fan experience featuring a dedicated indoor space with a large projection broadcasting the 2015 MLS Cup as well as a soccer game played amongst a backdrop of large canvassed live art throughout the Fan Zone walls. Teams will feature former MLS players including retired USMNT and MLS player, Eddie Johnson, retired Canadian National Team player and MLS great, Dwayne De Rosario, as well as US Soccer and female tastemaker, Florencia Galarza. Enjoy live art and live soccer activities while attendees enjoy a sneaker cleaning station, special custom MLS Cup t-shirt screen-printing and a live art truck along with a 21 and over soccer lounge by Heineken. Copa Basel is held at Wynwood Soccer Complex, 2222 NW 5th Ave., Miami, FL from 12pm-7pm.
20. The Art Basel Miami Flea: Independent artisans galore at this is an event full of creative classes, arts & crafts, live demos, and more. In addition, there will be plenty of local vendors including Nurbana 305, Second Hand Records, and ABA Jewels. Held at Canvas Miami, 90 NE 17th St., Miami, FL.